Infectious, inflammatory, and chronic diseases
This area is primarily characterized by the broad scope of pathologies studied and the multidisciplinary approaches used for investigation. In general terms, the research lines pursued in this area are the mechanisms of cell and tissue damage associated with infection and inflammatory and chronic disease. Other topics of interest include serious public-health problems such as respiratory disease, allergy and immunology, infectious diseases, and musculoskeletal conditions.
Challenges for the future
- Identify biomarkers to determine diagnosis and evolution and therapy targets in infectious and inflammatory diseases by applying proteomics, metabolomics, and arrays.
- Evaluate and develop new vaccines and infection models.
- Establish new areas of investigation in cell therapy and biomaterials.
- Allergy and immunology
- Infectious diseases and tropical medicine
- Rheumatology and bone metabolism
- Orthopedic surgery and traumatology
- Primary care group