External Scientific Committee
The External Scientific Committee oversees the scientific quality of the activities carried out in the IIS—FJD, UAM so as to aid in their improvement.
This advisory body to the Governing Council is made up scientists and research managers who are renowned for their scientific and professional excellence within the field of biomedical and health-sciences research in basic and clinical realms.
- Advise the Governing Council on all issues requiring specialized knowledge related to the operations of the Institute, such as areas of investigation, researcher recruitment, research-group creation, and the overall scientific policy to be pursued in the Institute in accordance with the Strategic Plan.
- Assess the proposals submitted by the Research Committee on the addition of new groups. Areas of investigation are evaluated for their quality and strategic value and the potential appropriateness of these groups for the IIS—FJD, UAM is assessed.
- Review the requests to use the biological samples included in the biobank of the Carlos III Health Institute Biobank network, submitting a statutory report on these requests in accordance with the operational norms of the aforementioned Biobank.
- Joaquín Arenas Barbero (Director of the Hospital 12 de Octubre Health Research Institute). Since July 2013.
- Jesús Ávila de Grado (Professor of Research, Severo Ochoa Center for Molecular Biology, Spanish National Research Council-UAM, Madrid).
- Lina Badimón Maestro (Director of the Center for Cardiovascular Research, Catalan Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences-Spanish National Research Council, Barcelona).
- Ángel Carracedo Álvarez (Professor of Medical Law, University of Santiago de Compostela; Director of the Galician Public Foundation for Genomic Medicine; Director of the main group of the National Center for Genotyping). Since July 2013.
- Mónica de la Fuente del Rey (Professor of Physiology, School of Biological Sciences, Complutense University of Madrid).
- Flora de Pablo Dávila (Professor of Research, Center for Biological Research - Spanish National Research Council, Madrid).
- Diego Gracia Guillén (Department of Preventive Medicine, Public Health, and the History of Science, the Medical School at the Complutense University of Madrid).
- Federico Mayor Menéndez (Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Severo Ochoa Center for Molecular Biology, Madrid).
- Margarita Salas Falgueras (Professor of Research, Severo Ochoa Center for Molecular Biology, Spanish National Research Council-UAM, Madrid).
- Joan Rodés Teixidor (Professor of Medicine, University of Barcelona; member of the August Pi i Sunyer Biomedical Research Institute - Hospital Clínic, Barcelona).